Articles Comments


» Google Adwords, Paid Search in General » Google Adwords Certification – Is It That Important?

Google Adwords Certification – Is It That Important?


Adwordscertified
Being Google Adwords Certified can be rewarding on many levels, but personally, I feel that just because you are certified, doesn’t make you a good search marketer. On the other hand, if we take the approach of using the certification as a stepping stone to break into the industry, it’s a much easier pill to swallow and promote, than to automatically assume being certified means having a really smart, experienced and cutting edge marketer who can turn your online business into a money making machine.

The Benefits of The Google Certification:
The Google Certification is a great place to start learning about the best practices of PPC. In fact, the Google Adwords Learning Center is my recommendation for anyone who is interested doing Paid Search for the first time. Many of the questions in the Quizzes provide not only a great outline to the best practices and procedures of PPC they can also be applied to other engines such as Yahoo and MSN.




The"Life Changing" Impact of the Google Certification:
I know this sounds a little "over-dramatic", but Google has done something that goes far beyond many of the online services (ebay is similar) where they have created a new career opportunity for people of all ages, industries and situations. The certification process opens many doors to individuals that were once closed due to the complexities and decisions of life.

The Downfalls of the Certifications:
The Certification provides many great things, but it also becomes over-rated and does not necessarily give you a free ticket to search marketing guru status. The certification questions in the Quizzes as well as the Test are geared to what Google wants you to know. I’d say 75% of the questions provide good overall best practices, however the other 25% are geared to Adwords only and what Google wants you to know. Most importantly, being certified does not:

  • DOES NOT tell you how to develop a sound strategy.
  • DOES NOT tell you how to create an intelligent structure based on the life cycle and/or shelf life of products or services.
  • DOES NOT teach you how to create a 12-month plan to compliment seasonality shifts to ensure business success.
  • DOES NOT teach you how to effectively integrate other off line channels such as TV, Radio & Print.

Basically, it’s a good thing to have, but does not mean your a "RockStar"

Rockstar_2
What it really means to you or your Company?

Being Adwords Certified means that you and/or your company has a good understanding of how the Adwords system works. It’s good for the resume, as well as another level of accreditation.

Conclusion:
I know this post sounds like a political "Flip-Flopper" where in one sentence I am saying being certified is great and in another I am saying it’s overrated. Being Certified is a necessary evil and should be done no matter what level or age you are. I would also recommend getting certified by Yahoo and MSN to complete the "HAT TRICK"

In my Opinion, the best certification you or your company can get
is a HAPPY CLIENT who is making money with you and enjoys doing
business with you. Nothing else matters!

Filed under: Google Adwords, Paid Search in General

3 Responses to "Google Adwords Certification – Is It That Important?"

  1. Héctor says:

    Look. I have been working in a company with all that bullsheet on their shoulders but the real fact that was 100 % for advertising. I am sure it means almost nothing, no matter from Google, MSN, Yahoo! or nothing. If you are an engeneer, what are you going to teach you?

  2. mick says:

    Can you do an article on google trivia?
    How much do they pay for these new ads?
    They are likely to get clicks as people are interested in getting the answer.
    I imagine the cpc is a penny at most.
    What do you think?
    Great advice by the way.

  3. henrry134 says:

    Great information for SEO beginners. Google Certification is a great place to start learning about the best practices of PPC. SEM is the most emerging business.
    http://www.netcallidus.com

Leave a Reply