Session #1: Digital Asset Optimization
Moderator: Richard Zwicky, Founder & CEO , Enquisite
- Mark Knowles, President & CEO, Pixelstick, Inc.
- Chris Boggs, Director of SEO, Rosetta
- Lee Odden, SES Advisory Board & CEO, TopRank Online Marketing
This session started off with Mark Knowles where he talked about opportunities and fear. SERP pages were good in the past, but now with mixed media/blended search. Mark also talks about Google’s Patent and how the patent provides details into this blended search platform. So, with this blended search results, the search engines are striving to provide searchers with “real-time” results. He mentioned other colleagues have been effected by this change in the SERPS, and is forcing everyone to look at SERP more holistically,
He also mentions “The Second Click” and that all things Google is not good for us, in general.He provides some visual examples of companies who has “re-branded” themselves and talks about how Google follwed a similar path. He also talked about how Google talked to webmaster, then purchases Urchin and then launched their own Google Analytics. GOOGLE is NOT to be afraid of. Either you Grow or you Die.
Next up is Chris Boggs, who talks about how to best evaluate a potential client. He shows a pyramid of 3 major areas. technical, on-site optimization and Off-site promotion. This is a NOT a one size fits all. Also, optimization is not just for test, it’s rich media/videos.
Important Questions to ask
- do high performers leveage non-text
- would target segments benefit from digital assets including videos, podcasts, images, etc…
- Do I have the fund to create and optimize content that may not be as easy to track to ROI as PPC and Organic Search.
Chris also provides examples of how product feeds bring down the results and depending on your industry, you should start adding videos, product feeds, etc… that will help a company within an “un-optimized” SERP.
High volume and lucrative search terms is the perfect example to re-evaluate your SEM/SEO strategy to best leverage the results.
Next up is Josh Cobb from Yahoo who talks about Yahoo (not be feared from us) they have an enormous publisher partnership.
Josh mentions the following
- Identify any and all digital assets (taking inventory).
- Sort the inventory into Commercial, editorial, entertainment or added value
- Align them to User Experience, Advertiser/Publisher
- Build and Test all market assumptions (actual user behavioral and technical limits)
Deciding what to Deploy
- Long term, deeply engaged loyal user base
- Highly transactional (point of sale)
- Pass through traffic. Buy ‘em and Goodbye ‘em
When should we deploy?
- A clear user value has been determined
- There is a source of funding for the content
- Total control over website
- You know your digital assets are generating money
Next up is Lee Odden who talks about Universal Search 2007 where we had all of these digital assets and new channels of promotion and matching the two together to provide the best user experience. Now in 2010, we have Social, Personalized, Real-Time and now Mobile it is now an holistic SEO marketing. If it can be search, it can be optimized.
DOA Content Strategy
Keywords –> Personas, SERPs –> Assets, Editorial, Mapping –> Operationalize, Off Page DAO, Promote, Measure.
Holistic SEO in action
- Buyer Persona
- Off Page
Content Plan –> Blog Post –> Assets –> Social Media Optimization
- End of Session
Session #2: Sponsored Session: Achieving Success with Improved Ads quality
LIVE Summary:Understanding Search Ads Quality (technical difficulties)
Dan talks about Quality Score and is not the most important metric in your account.
Profit –> Revenue vs. Cost –>Conversions, clicks, impressions
Dan emphasizes that overall profitability is most important and that Quality Score is a balancing the interests of all parties in the online advertising ecosystem
What does QS influence?
- Top Spot
1-10 is just an approx. from historical data and expected estimate. Actual score are unique for each query.
what contributes to a Quality Score.
- Landing Page
CTR% is comprised of the following elements:
We use relevancy signals unique to the specific query to help inform our quality predictions
LANDING PAGE Quality
- Not about the design or layout. usability and user experience is most important.
How to improve quality score
- Organize your account for max effectiveness
- Choose relevant keywords
- Create straightforward targeted ads
- Point users to a landing page with relevant, original content with quick load times.
Coming to terms with your quality score
- Even if you have done everything right, you might now have the perfect quality score.
More information on the Myths & Truths with Google Adwords
Session #3: Sponsored Session: Getting the Most out of Adwords Features & Tools
To start off, the speaker has discussed the following important elements for adwords.
- Time, Traffic and Results
- Spend less time
- Drive additional, cost-effective traffic
- A new Adwords Report
He also goes deeper into the different ways ad advertiser can get useful Advanced Data/Reporting without having to RUN REPORTS where it takes a longer time. Next up is Alex Kenin who talks about the opportunities tab.
The Search Land Scape is changing
- Big Picture View
- Data Driven